Grand Forks Public Health Department provides nursing services at the Grand Forks County Correctional Center and Grand Forks County Juvenile Detention Center under a contract with the city of Grand Forks. Nursing services are provided under the direction of a Medical Director from Altru Family Medicine Residency.
Correctional health nursing services include:
- Assisting with policies and procedures related to medical care and treatment.
- Performing health assessments along with communicable disease screening and counseling.
- Answering acute medical and dental complaints and scheduling follow-up care as needed. Resident physicians hold twice monthly medical clinics.
- Preventing the spread of infectious diseases in a congregate population.
- Providing health education to inmates to manage acute and chronic conditions.
- Providing resource and referral information to improve the health of the inmate after release.
- Responding to all medical emergencies within the facility.
- Training and certifying correctional officers for medication passing.