All cats and dogs 6 months or older that reside within the City of Grand Forks are required to be licensed. This includes pets that are kept indoors at all times.
License terms are January 1 to December 31 of each year.
- Proof of current rabies vaccination.
- If the pet has been spayed or neutered, proof of the procedure from a veterinarian.
- Unaltered pet: $17
- Spayed or neutered pet: $5
Method of payment accepted:
Cash, Check, Money Order, Visa, Mastercard, Discover
Licenses are issued by the Finance and Administrative Services Department, which is located on the 1st Floor of City Hall, 255 N 4th Street. Questions? Please contact us by phone, (701) 746-2620, or by email.
Licenses can be obtained by mail by completing and returning an application form, with a copy of the required information listed above, and the fee. Mailing address is:
Attn: Pet Licensing
City of Grand Forks
PO Box 5200
Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Application form for use in obtaining a license by mail: Click Here
Renewals can be done either in person, by mail, or with use of a credit/debit card over the phone.
When you obtain a license from the City, you will be issued a Dog/Cat License tag. City Ordinance requites that your pet wear this license tag as well as the rabies vaccination tag on its collar at all times.
Lost or Damaged License Tags:
If your license tag becomes lost or damaged, replacement tags are available for $3 and can be obtained from the Finance and Administrative Services department.
Benefits from licensing your pet:
- Compliance with City Ordinance
- You will not be subject to a $31 fine for Failure to License your pet
- If your animal has a current City license and is lost, police officers will try to return the pet to you instead of bringing it directly to the animal impound.