The City of Grand Forks requires a business license for certain types of businesses. There is not a general business license that is required for all businesses. The process to apply for a business license in Grand Forks will vary depending on the type of business.
Below is a list of commercial businesses that the City of Grand Forks Licenses. These licenses are administered by the Finance and Administrative Services Department. You can click on the license name in the list below to find out requirements and fees for that license and to obtain an application form. For general licensing questions, please contact the Asst. City Clerk, by phone 701-746-2664. You can also contact us by email.
- Airport Limousine
- Alcoholic Beverage License
- Amusement Center(Contact the Finance Department for Information)
- Animal Licensing
- Animal Kennel Fee
- Bakery (NEW form and licensing classes for 2017)
- Bed & Breakfast
- Butcher (NEW form and licensing classes for 2017)
- Carnival or Circus
- Concession Stand (NEW License for 2017)
- Dance Hall
- Going out of Business Sale (Contact the Finance Department for Information)
- Grocery Store (NEW form and licensing classes for 2017)
- Hide & Junk Dealers
- Hotel / Motel
- Mobile Food Vendor (NEW form and licensing classes for 2017)
- Private Collector of Recyclable Materials
- Private Collector of Rubbish, Construction Refuse
- Restaurant and.or Hired Caterer (NEW form and licensing classes for 2017)
- Retail Tobacco Dealer
- Roller Rink
- School (NEW License for 2017)
- Sexually Oriented Business (Contact the Finance Department for Information)
- Sexually Oriented Business Employee
- Shooting Range
- Swimming Pool
- Tattooing (Body Art)
- Taxi - Vehicle License Application Packet
- Taxi - Driver/Chauffeur (New Driver)
- Temporary Restaurant (Form Revised 04/18/2016)
- Towing - Business
- Towing - Driver - New Driver)
- Trailer Park/Mobile Home Lot
- Transient Merchant
Click Here for a printable list of all license and permit fees currently in place for the City of Grand Forks.
If you are a construction type business you will be licensed through the Building Inspection Department. This includes the following types of licenses:
In addition, the Building Inspection Department issues numerous permits related to the types of work that these licenseholders will perform. Please contact Building Inspection Department for more information on these permits.
If you own Rental Property in the City of Grand Forks, you may be required to have a Rental License. This program is administered by the Building Inspections Department. Click Here for information on this program.
Emergency Alarm Installers and Businesses or Residents wishing to utilize an alarm to protect their property should contact the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) for assistance with securing licensing and permits. Click Here to be redirected to the PSAP page.
Some licenses may also require registration or licensing from the State of North Dakota. Below are links to some of the State Agencies which you should contact for additional information on operating businesses in North Dakota.
The Finance and Administrative Services Department is located within City Hall, 255 N 4th Street, Grand Forks, ND 58203. Our Mailing address is:
Attn: Business Licensing
Department of Finance
PO Box 5200
Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Email: Click Here